Bowhead Whales, Polar Bears, and Glaciers of Baffin Island Overview
Explore the natural habitat of polar bears by land and bowhead whales by sea, while experiencing the true essence of an Arctic summer.
Discover the remote and rugged beauty of the Arctic as you explore the awe-inspiring glacier capped and studded coastline of south-eastern Baffin Island on our Polar Bears and Glaciers of Baffin Island Arctic adventure. Experience the long days of Arctic summer and long twilight, all from the comfort of an Arctic Kingdom safari-style base camp, located just outside Auyuittuq National Park, one of Canada’s most stunning national parks.
- Observe polar bears in their natural habitat as they ring edges of islands, prowling for prey.
- Search for bowhead whales as they spy-hop, fin, and slap their flukes mere metres from our boat.
- Visit a newly discovered bowhead molting area, one of the rarest wildlife experiences in the Arctic.
- Indulge in fresh Arctic char and wild blueberries while admiring all-night sunsets from the comfort of a safari-style tented camp.
- Hike at the foot of Coronation Fiord where the Penny Ice Cap Glacier ends abruptly in the sea water.
- Visit Canada's most stunning park – Auyuittuq National Park.
- Visit ancient Thule dwelling sites and enjoy other exciting day trips that will immerse you in the history and culture of this awe-inspiring land.
Spend your days roaming the natural habitat of polar bears by land and intriguing bowhead whales by sea. Admire the views of the mirror smooth water speckled with dazzling icebergs that reflect a striking panoramic view of the surrounding mountain peaks and visit ancient Thule dwelling sites. You’ll also delight in picking and sampling wild blueberries and savouring delicious grilled Arctic char, caught fresh from a river near camp. Set in a backdrop of incredible scenery, our top-of-the line, safari-inspired tented accommodations will be your home away from home. Fully equipped with showers and beds, you’ll have the opportunity to rest easy and enjoy delicious meals that will help fuel you for your daily adventures. Cruising on small craft boats, you will revel in an opportunity to get up close and personal with polar bears and bowhead whales out in the wild in a non-intrusive way. As the sights and sounds of this spectacular environment stimulate your senses, the rest of the world will seem like a distant echo.
Bowhead Whales Facts
- They are the longest lived mammals on the planet.
- They are the largest whale in the Arctic - weighing as much 5 F-15 fighter jets.
- Every year bowhead enter shallow bays on Baffin Island to slough dead skin from their bodies
2016 - 2017 EXPEDITION SUMMARY
7 Days / 6 Nights
2016 - 2017 Dates
Aug 9 – 15
Aug 16 – 22
Aug 1 – 7
Aug 8 – 14
Aug 15 – 21
2016 - 2017 Prices
2016: USD $6,995 + 349.75 (taxes) from Qikiqtarjuaq, based on double occupancy
2017: USD $7,595 + 379.75 (taxes) from Qikiqtarjuaq, based on double occupancy
2016 - 2017 SGL Supplement
2016 - 2017 Air Package
2016: USD $2,490 + $323.70 (taxes)
2017: USD $2355.00 + $306.15 (taxes)
Return flights from Ottawa (YOW) to Qikiqtarjuaq (YVM)
As there are a limited number of seats available that conveniently connect with our trip departure dates, we encourage you to book and pay for this flight package at the same time as you book your trip.
2016 - 2017
Group Size 12
Location Qikiqtarjuaq, Nunavut, Canada